Build safe, high-performance UIs fast
To keep pace with rapid innovations in patient diagnostics, collaborative care, and connected systems, medical device manufacturers recognize the need to deliver user experiences (UX) that simplify increasingly complex operations into clear and safe
As more health professionals demand feature-rich devices to improve patient outcomes and with shrinking hospital budgets, only Crank Software’s Storyboard Suite connects UX designers and developers together to help manufacturers create beautiful, differentiating user interfaces (UI) on low-power, low-cost platforms.
The most common cause of medical device recalls is software design failures, including user interfaces (human factors).
- Medical Device Recall Report FY2003 to FY2012, U.S. Food and Drug Administration
Microchip device demo
Take a quick look at our patient diagnostics and electronic health records (EHR) UI running on the Microchip SAMA5D2, then download the ready-to-run image and try it for yourself.
How Storyboard Suite helps medical device development
Medical device manufacturers have always understood the need to deliver safe, easy to use systems but now, with unprecedented growth in connected devices, consumer health, and Big Data, they're struggling to squeeze it all onto platforms that hospital buyers can afford.
Whether updating the UI for a medical imaging system or moving into the mobile and wearables market (glucose monitors, exercise trackers, etc.), Storyboard Suite streamlines your development process. Storyboard consists of two modules that optimize workflow between the UI designer and embedded software developer, allowing them to work in parallel to create the best user experience on top of highly optimized and performing applications. Using a WYSIWYG environment, the whole team gets a real-time display of what the final product looks like and how it behaves, from prototyping to production.
- Import directly from Adobe Photoshop, with layer order and naming preserved
- Animate objects easily with built-in animation timeline
- Add behavior to graphics quickly, without having to write code
- Deliver rich 3D graphics with support for Autodesk FBX, OBJ, and OpenGL ES
- Enforce clean architectural separation between UI and application
- Support scale at any level, across a wide range of MCUs and MPUs
"The most effective strategies to employ during device design to reduce or eliminate use-related hazards involve modifications to the device user interface. To the extent possible, the 'look and feel' of the user interface should be logical and intuitive to use. A well-designed user interface will facilitate correct user actions and will prevent or discourage actions that could result in harm."
- Applying Human Factors and Usability Engineering to Medical Devices, U.S. Food and Drug Administration
NXP device demo
Watch our demo running on the NXP i.MX 6ULL, then download the ready-to-run image and try it for yourself.
Overcome UI development challenges
Purpose-built to reduce the frustrations, delays, and costs associated with medical device UI development, Storyboard Suite enables designers and developers to do what they do best, allowing them to work together while supporting role-specific tools and languages. The end result is the best possible interface, whether it's a portable monitor, infusion pump, or robotic surgery system. All delivered in record times and supporting many different platforms.
- Iterate designs seamlessly with re-import and graphical compare tool
- Validate results immediately on built-in simulator or real hardware
- OS-agnostic Storyboard Engine supports any hardware your OS supports
- Achieve 30 frames per second on resource-constrained hardware
- Portable across your entire home appliance portfolio - build once and deploy anywhere
Hardware: ARM, PowerPC, x86, SH4 / SH2A, FPGA